In the beginning of May my fiancé and I will be moving from our current apartment into a new apartment and I have to say as excited as I am that the new place is so incredibly nice I am also really annoyed about moving. The concept of needing to box up all our things to drag them on over to our new home sounds, well it sounds just traumatizing.
When we first moved into our current apartment (which was both of our first home outside of our parents’ house) we were off the walls excited I mean this was a real adult moment for both of us, and then we moved our stuff. I was not a happy camper let me tell you that lugging boxes up four floors was not my idea of a good time.
Now that we have to lug those boxes down four floors I made the executive decision that I simply would not do it.
The idea of having to move our stuff again made me almost cringe at the new place we would soon call home. Which is sad because if you only knew our current apartment; rug everywhere, drop ceiling in the kitchen, nothing upgraded since 1970. It just was time to upgrade and although it was a great first apartment for us I can’t say I’m not looking forward to the wooden floors, stainless steel appliances, and a GORGEOUS kitchen, because I am… Like a lot.
Yet I kept losing my excitement as we got closer and closer to the date and finally I snapped.
I hired movers.
While my excitement now grew a little again knowing I didn’t have to carry the couch over my head, there was still the small factor of packing and then unpacking our boxes that was lingering in the back of my mind.
So these are my 5 MUST DO Moving Tips:
- Pack with time! – No one wants to hustle to pack up their entire home a week before, start early with the things you don’t use as often.
- Make sure things are secure – The last thing you need is a box full of broken glass. Use bubble wrap, strap it down, and make sure it’s not going to crash into anything.
- Keep it organized – If you have different boxes for the Bathroom, Kitchen, Bedroom, and so on it will make the unpacking and organizing process so much easier!
- Stay Hydrated – If you are moving yourself, DRINK WATER, and lots of it. Moving day will take a lot out of you.
- Hire Movers! – When all else fails, paying someone to move the heavy things is my way to go moving is a hassle and no one enjoys it. Pay someone who’s good at it to help you out.
These are just a few tips on what to do when you have to move, of course if you can avoid moving all together, well that’s my suggestion.