Most of us rent, since the new generations need for change we tend to rent apartments and homes instead of purchasing homes. Since the baby boomer generation grew up generation X and the millennial generation both love the idea of a one year lease that ends with you moving on to a new place each time.
Sometimes it’s difficult to make a place you’re only living in for a year feel homey and comfortable, so I have gathered eight tips and tricks on how to feel right at home every time you come home, even though you have to up and leave in twelve months.
- First off don’t over decorate. – We have the habit of adding cute things over and over until the house is just well over crowded and theres nothing cute and homey about way to much stuff.
- Think Warm Colors – Browns, blacks, and gold is usually what I go with. The reason I say warm colors is because when I think of homey I think of light grey couch with black throw blankets and some nice throw pillows where I can lay on the couch and just relax. Honestly, just sounds like home.
- The walls are white, think of it as a fresh start – White walls could be a bit uninviting and dull. That is until you dress it up just a bit! Get some cute frames, a nice big clock and maybe even a nice Mirror to make the space feel bigger. Remember not to over decorate, no more than one think on each wall!
- Add some lamps – Sometimes house lights can be a tad harsh. They make it too bright and it just wont feel like home. Some decorative lamps with some subtle lighting will fix that right up.
- Plants! – I kill all living plants, I’m terrible at watering and knowing how much to water but there are some cute little fake plants that look the part. I suggest you get some if you’re looking for some green.
- Add some old school to it – I have a nice little record player that doubles as a bluetooth speaker. I love it! It adds a slight old school touch even though it’s modernly new looking.
- Add Storage – Most rentals lack storage space, use a bookshelf on its side in the closet on the floor. Fold your clothes and organize accordingly.
- Oh Bartender! – Bed, Bath, & Beyond has a cute little wooden bar cart with plenty of storage space for your drinks, your nice wine glasses, whatever you want!
Enjoy your new temporary home!